Skip to main content

The 20 somethings

 As a teenager, I thought my life was hectic, navigating the ugliness that came with puberty and not knowing why sometimes in my cycle I was sad for no reason or ready to fight anyone, why my bra size changed but my shoe size stayed the same, it was a hot mess. So I was ready to be an adult, to hit my 20s and have it all figured out. 

LOL!!!!

The 20s for me have been a bigger mess than any decade thus far. So we start with the early 20s (20 to 24) in these years, you don't know where you fully stand, you are too young for certain things but also too grown for a different set of things, and it is evident even in the way parents or guardians treat you, you are grown enough to work or be in university but get yelled at for missing curfew or even for dating (because at this age, school should still be your only love), so that ka confusion plays a number on you, am I an adult or in a trial run for being an adult? 

Your early 20s also see you losing friends, all of you develop different views, and growth happens at different levels, some are heading off to college, others university, others stay home, get pregnant, etc, so the transition from high school besties to adult besties sometimes never really happens (in some cases it does). Your early 20s can also easily be your make-or-break years, you have the power to mold your adult life in this period.

Then comes the golden 25, every girl's dream to get married age lol the lucky ones do, the rest of us just have fun and flow with the river of vibes and good times. 25 for me was a golden age, I was just fully getting my groove back, that was my year! I was doing good in this life thing. We expect to have figured most of our lives out by 25, a stable job, a car, and good savings, but unfortunately in this part of the world, we only start to rise at 25. Then the mere fact that God is not from our hometowns, we all have different life journeys, some friends are thriving, others are stuck, and some skipped college and got the man and kids, by the age of 25 you really start to see how life from a more realistic lens. 

Then we cross to post 25, the peak ages of pressure... ama "balefika lisa" or your peers are getting their Masters' Degrees, so and so got a Benz and ulya palya is on baby number 2. Then you are like Nicky, working a stressful job, juggling it with evening classes to get your Bachelors' Degree and find time to date, muli fyonse ifi. No lie sometimes ndakumbwa, like how is it that uyu wine umuntu twali bonse mu grade 12 their life seems well put together. But I am quick to remind myself that LIFE IS A PERSONAL JANEYY (JOURNEY). 

The 20s feel like a try and error phase in the adulting chapter. I hope the 30s are clearer. 


Thank you for reading 


Lots of Love💖

Thee Talkative Aries♈

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot can happen in a year

 Okay it hasn't been a year since my last blog post (10 months)... but you get the point. Let's start by celebrating the fact that I broke up with my crutches and bionic knee brace, the good sis is back on 2s, just not with Megan Thee Stallion knees (there goes my video vixen career dream) lol. But truly, it still shocks me because it felt like a never-ending nightmare but God and the world's best orthopedic doctors came through.. Then I won a competition for a project I shelved years ago lol. Imposter syndrome will be the death of me.. I have a passion project I've been sitting on for years because I'm so afraid to fail, but my support system pushed me to pitch and I came out second and won funding for my project. While on this, let's just unpack how when you're supposed to do something it'll haunt you till you do it, like eh?? It'll pop up in dreams, your social media will be showing subs on it lol napapata give me chance to wallow or avoid working

What are you telling yourself?

 I can't do this, I can't do that, I am not so smart... I have had moments in my life where I uttered such words, maybe because I was nervous or because I didn't want to oversell myself, so I spoke words that I felt put me in a safer spot.  The past couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster, from work life to social life. You know how they say when it rains it pours? that's been my life, working long hours, being overstretched, having no room to think, breathe, or even process, just from meeting to meeting, email to email, being scolded for mistakes made in the middle of burnout, YANGU TATA LESA, I am just one person. So in the habit of being a frustrated millennial, I started to complain. I can't do this anymore, I am tired (this is true), I am failing, maybe I wasn't built for this and so much more.. This has been my location mentally, I was just filling myself with negativity and telling myself how I am not good enough for my job, or for the opportunities com

Take me back to 5!

 Growing up my dreams were simple, I wanted to be a princess. How hard could it possibly be? All I have to do is wear cute ballroom dresses, live in a castle, smile and greet people and occasionally ride horses. That to me seems like a simple life.  Fast forward to today and in reality, I am 20-something working an actual 9 to 5, while trying to get a degree which in all honesty is giving me so much grief (like why can't you just be as easy as 123) and somewhere in all this, I am expected to live a decent social life and possibly have a stable relationship. In this same one life???? That is not what 5-year-old me thought, because as far as I know, the Prince was bound to find me in a castle. But alas, I do not live in one. This could probably be the reason I am single, instead of being in a castle in some faraway land, I am in Lusaka lol. At 5, my dreams were cute and pure, and life also seemed so much simpler and cooler as from my little girl eyes, iyee imwe kali ka book kama lies