Skip to main content

Picking up the pieces

Today I want to talk about the time, energy, emotion, and everything else that comes with fetching your life. I am yet to stumble across a person who has never had to reset a certain chapter of their life, if you know anyone, please send them my way, I need to ask how it feels to be God's fave!
Every so often, I see posts on social media about how adulting is the biggest scam ever and I BELIEVE IT! When I was in primary school, I remember complaining about how I was struggling with my math homework, the long division questions got harder, and suddenly we had number lines and integers, not to forget my good sis BODMAS. Phew! I was a stressed-out kid. My Uncle once looked at me as I complained at the dining table and said "Kula umone", it didn't make sense then but now I totally get what he meant. I am living life at 50 "Yangu Tata Lesa's" per hour. 
So fast forward to this grown girl's life and I really just want to unsubscribe! Like I said in one of my previous blogs, the only thing fun about being a big girl is picking out my own outfits and eating what I want when I can (not want lol money is a factor). 
Movies show you how when a child hits puberty and they're having their first crush/ first relationship, parents are so invested and giving tuma guidance, some chaperone their children's dates and all that good stuff but where I am from, in the extremely African home I grew up in, you have no business having a crush or wanting to go on a date in your teens and sometimes early 20s. So this part leads to my bigger picture:
  1. We are never really taught how to start over, every so often we are taught how to either stay and deal with the cards we're given or to keep quiet and fake it till it feels or becomes okay. This is one of the biggest reasons I am occasionally a dysfunctional human being. We hate letting go or letting things break because we don't want to be associated with the shame of having failed or being seen as not strong enough to wait for the bad to pass. But just how long is someone supposed to hold onto things that aren't working out? .. Fear of the unknown also cripples us, we start to wonder if we are strong enough to start afresh, or if time hasn't passed "at this age I can't go back to school or I can't leave him we've been together too long". 
  2. What will they say? I have asked myself this question several times when I had to pick up pieces, be it in my school life, or in my relationship life. I wish I could say this still doesn't cross my mind, it's a pandemic and hopefully one day I will fight it. The people around us, our support system, and friends tend to have a large influence on our decisions, and every so often we base our decisions on the well-being or peace of others as opposed to ourselves. It's time to pick it up! No one knows what's good for you but you! Yes you have fallen and most times rock bottom is hard, but at your own pace, with your own plan and intentionality, PICK UP THE PIECES!
  3. I remember how good Jane looked when Tarzan would lift her from the ground and hold onto her as they swung from branch to branch, she was saved from gorillas and tigers (I think). But that's as far as fairytales go. In reality, we save ourselves, sometimes we are privileged to have a hand that helps us up, but help is only as active as you are. No one can forcefully drag you out of bed to go and resit an exam, and no one will grab your phone and type that "I can't do this anymore" message for you. They can simply try and help you see what needs to happen for the next chapter of your life to unfold, but if you don't pick up the pieces it won't.
We're in Q2 of the year, what are you afraid of letting go of? what is that thing on your resolutions you were supposed to do but still circling in the same cycles? It is time to pick up the pieces and move on, to the next stage, next season, next anything! PICK IT UP AND GET GOING!


Thank you for reading. 

Lots of Love 💖

Thee Talkative Aries♈

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot can happen in a year

 Okay it hasn't been a year since my last blog post (10 months)... but you get the point. Let's start by celebrating the fact that I broke up with my crutches and bionic knee brace, the good sis is back on 2s, just not with Megan Thee Stallion knees (there goes my video vixen career dream) lol. But truly, it still shocks me because it felt like a never-ending nightmare but God and the world's best orthopedic doctors came through.. Then I won a competition for a project I shelved years ago lol. Imposter syndrome will be the death of me.. I have a passion project I've been sitting on for years because I'm so afraid to fail, but my support system pushed me to pitch and I came out second and won funding for my project. While on this, let's just unpack how when you're supposed to do something it'll haunt you till you do it, like eh?? It'll pop up in dreams, your social media will be showing subs on it lol napapata give me chance to wallow or avoid working

What are you telling yourself?

 I can't do this, I can't do that, I am not so smart... I have had moments in my life where I uttered such words, maybe because I was nervous or because I didn't want to oversell myself, so I spoke words that I felt put me in a safer spot.  The past couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster, from work life to social life. You know how they say when it rains it pours? that's been my life, working long hours, being overstretched, having no room to think, breathe, or even process, just from meeting to meeting, email to email, being scolded for mistakes made in the middle of burnout, YANGU TATA LESA, I am just one person. So in the habit of being a frustrated millennial, I started to complain. I can't do this anymore, I am tired (this is true), I am failing, maybe I wasn't built for this and so much more.. This has been my location mentally, I was just filling myself with negativity and telling myself how I am not good enough for my job, or for the opportunities com

Take me back to 5!

 Growing up my dreams were simple, I wanted to be a princess. How hard could it possibly be? All I have to do is wear cute ballroom dresses, live in a castle, smile and greet people and occasionally ride horses. That to me seems like a simple life.  Fast forward to today and in reality, I am 20-something working an actual 9 to 5, while trying to get a degree which in all honesty is giving me so much grief (like why can't you just be as easy as 123) and somewhere in all this, I am expected to live a decent social life and possibly have a stable relationship. In this same one life???? That is not what 5-year-old me thought, because as far as I know, the Prince was bound to find me in a castle. But alas, I do not live in one. This could probably be the reason I am single, instead of being in a castle in some faraway land, I am in Lusaka lol. At 5, my dreams were cute and pure, and life also seemed so much simpler and cooler as from my little girl eyes, iyee imwe kali ka book kama lies