Skip to main content

Mirror, Mirror on the wall..

Once upon a time, I hated how I looked. I was this fat, ugly pimple-faced teenager with 2 rabbit teeth and the worst 4C hair you could ever imagine. 
My teen years definitely count as some of my toughest years of confidence and self-discovery. My body is naturally on the chubby side, and I looked a bit older than my actual age growing up so that never made it any easier. I was often accused of lying about my age, and the big boobs and early menses made it harder to defend myself, because why are you wearing a B-cup bra in 7th grade???
Fast forward to high school, the dark ages lol kudos to the boys who actually liked me then, y'all are real ones!πŸ˜‚. 
One of the most hurtful things I ever heard was people in my class used to call me "Johnny Bravo" behind my back, and anyone who knows that cartoon would attest to the fact that his body structure wasn't the cutest. I sobbed so hard the day I found that out, and that was the beginning of my insecurities. I started looking for ways to lose weight, and I started saying things like I would someday like to reduce the size of my boobs (I am still contemplating this). I couldn't look into the mirror for long because I ended up noticing new things I hated about myself. 
High school ended and then came my first University experience, I had lost a significant amount of weight (heard a rumor about me having lost that weight because I was dumped lol), no please, I was a gym freak at a point, never missed a session, ask ba Power Dynamos lol they always found me in the gym. I liked the smaller me, she was "cute" according to my standards, I wore crop tops, dresses with the longest slits, and open-back clothes. It was peak confidence season (or I thought it was). My pimples made a grand comeback in my early 20s and the cute season glitched. Just before I could start to cope with this, the return of chubby chubs happened!πŸ˜”. Back to square one...
In all these various phases I never gave myself a chance to look into the mirror and accept who I am, I wanted to be Instagram pretty or Facebook beautiful, the number of likes really mattered because if they were less than a certain number, I wasn't nice enough. Or if a certain guy didn't like that picture finish tai weme (it's not nice).
I would be lying if I said confidence is at its peak now, but I am no longer as agitated about physical attributes as I used to be. I am falling in love with my post-25 grown woman body, I get pimples every now and then, and I can't change that, it's the type of skin I have, and sometimes they're really just part of a season and will eventually fade off. 
Some of us can relate, to the snide comments on one's weight, skin, clothes, teeth, foot size, etc... If you are not strong like me, it will eat you up, it will haunt you, you will look for keto diets, fat-free diets, you will buy all the serums and toners you see on socials but if you don't feel pretty, you might end up having the clear skin, good body and still be unhappy. Pretty has to start from within then you radiate it outwards. 
Even Beyonce said "Pretty Hurts", it's your soul that needs the surgery. If you are not comfortable in your "flawed self", it's hard to be comfortable in your glory. Skin changes and wrinkles someday will form. Weight changes due to various issues, from health to stress. Avoid the need to pass hurtful comments to people on how they look, especially if you don't know what they may be going through. It is none of your business if I have put on weight, or if I am 2 shades darker than the last time we met. And please! If you do not fund one's meals or skin routines, resist the urge to bring it up.

So today, I want you to look into your mirror and speak positively about the person you see because that person needs you to remind them they are beautiful!

Mirror, mirror on the wall. I may struggle, I may fall. But today I am the fairest of them all!

Thank you for reading.


With lots of Love,

Thee Talkative AriesπŸ’–


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot can happen in a year

 Okay it hasn't been a year since my last blog post (10 months)... but you get the point. Let's start by celebrating the fact that I broke up with my crutches and bionic knee brace, the good sis is back on 2s, just not with Megan Thee Stallion knees (there goes my video vixen career dream) lol. But truly, it still shocks me because it felt like a never-ending nightmare but God and the world's best orthopedic doctors came through.. Then I won a competition for a project I shelved years ago lol. Imposter syndrome will be the death of me.. I have a passion project I've been sitting on for years because I'm so afraid to fail, but my support system pushed me to pitch and I came out second and won funding for my project. While on this, let's just unpack how when you're supposed to do something it'll haunt you till you do it, like eh?? It'll pop up in dreams, your social media will be showing subs on it lol napapata give me chance to wallow or avoid working

What are you telling yourself?

 I can't do this, I can't do that, I am not so smart... I have had moments in my life where I uttered such words, maybe because I was nervous or because I didn't want to oversell myself, so I spoke words that I felt put me in a safer spot.  The past couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster, from work life to social life. You know how they say when it rains it pours? that's been my life, working long hours, being overstretched, having no room to think, breathe, or even process, just from meeting to meeting, email to email, being scolded for mistakes made in the middle of burnout, YANGU TATA LESA, I am just one person. So in the habit of being a frustrated millennial, I started to complain. I can't do this anymore, I am tired (this is true), I am failing, maybe I wasn't built for this and so much more.. This has been my location mentally, I was just filling myself with negativity and telling myself how I am not good enough for my job, or for the opportunities com

Take me back to 5!

 Growing up my dreams were simple, I wanted to be a princess. How hard could it possibly be? All I have to do is wear cute ballroom dresses, live in a castle, smile and greet people and occasionally ride horses. That to me seems like a simple life.  Fast forward to today and in reality, I am 20-something working an actual 9 to 5, while trying to get a degree which in all honesty is giving me so much grief (like why can't you just be as easy as 123) and somewhere in all this, I am expected to live a decent social life and possibly have a stable relationship. In this same one life???? That is not what 5-year-old me thought, because as far as I know, the Prince was bound to find me in a castle. But alas, I do not live in one. This could probably be the reason I am single, instead of being in a castle in some faraway land, I am in Lusaka lol. At 5, my dreams were cute and pure, and life also seemed so much simpler and cooler as from my little girl eyes, iyee imwe kali ka book kama lies