Skip to main content

In the beginning

 Once upon a time... I was a writer. I wrote poems, stories, letters, some of the best compositions and once or twice, I wrote my vows (LOL). 

I haven't written anything in years, aside from my usual journaling. But I guess its time to put the gloves back on and see if I still got it. 

I started to write at the age 12, it was a coping mechanism in boarding school. I really disliked the school I went to and being new to an environment that has your whole life (day) planned out for you didn't really sit well with me. We had compulsory study times, twice in a day and anyone who knows me, knows I can't study to save my life. Sleeping in class was not an option, noise making always got me punished, so I had to find something to keep me busy for at least 2 hours, every single day. I started with notes, I'd write a couple of notes and deliver them around to friends after prep, with time I started writing poems at the back of my books. 

One random day, I started to write an imagination I had. When I was done, I gave my deskmate to read it and she loved it, she asked me when the story would be done, I really had no idea because it wasn't something I planned to do frequently but now I had my first "fan" and she wanted to know what was next. So through the week, I spent my study time writing this story in a spare book I had (don't tell my mum) and after almost 2 week, I filled a 120 paged book with my first story "Computer Love", now that I think about it, it was a very corny title. I gave it to my desk mate, who shared it around when she was done and before I knew it, people where asking me for another story. 

Fast forward to the school holidays, I shared my new found talent with my aunties and they loved it, One of them still asks me "why did you stop writing those stories?". Tbh, I hit a writers block at some point and I hated not knowing how to get out of it, so like everything else I start in my life, I quit. 

But now I am more deliberate about my growth and part of that means nurturing talents and not giving up just because its hard. A lot of us have passions that we either avoid or hang up because we didn't get what we wanted or we hit a wall and couldn't find the way out. You see, the magic isn't in figuring it out, its in continously trying and learning till you get it right. 

So this is my come back to writing, and its here to tell you its time to breathe life into that passion you buried! 


Thanks for reading..


Lots of Love 

😊 The Talkative Aries 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot can happen in a year

 Okay it hasn't been a year since my last blog post (10 months)... but you get the point. Let's start by celebrating the fact that I broke up with my crutches and bionic knee brace, the good sis is back on 2s, just not with Megan Thee Stallion knees (there goes my video vixen career dream) lol. But truly, it still shocks me because it felt like a never-ending nightmare but God and the world's best orthopedic doctors came through.. Then I won a competition for a project I shelved years ago lol. Imposter syndrome will be the death of me.. I have a passion project I've been sitting on for years because I'm so afraid to fail, but my support system pushed me to pitch and I came out second and won funding for my project. While on this, let's just unpack how when you're supposed to do something it'll haunt you till you do it, like eh?? It'll pop up in dreams, your social media will be showing subs on it lol napapata give me chance to wallow or avoid working

What are you telling yourself?

 I can't do this, I can't do that, I am not so smart... I have had moments in my life where I uttered such words, maybe because I was nervous or because I didn't want to oversell myself, so I spoke words that I felt put me in a safer spot.  The past couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster, from work life to social life. You know how they say when it rains it pours? that's been my life, working long hours, being overstretched, having no room to think, breathe, or even process, just from meeting to meeting, email to email, being scolded for mistakes made in the middle of burnout, YANGU TATA LESA, I am just one person. So in the habit of being a frustrated millennial, I started to complain. I can't do this anymore, I am tired (this is true), I am failing, maybe I wasn't built for this and so much more.. This has been my location mentally, I was just filling myself with negativity and telling myself how I am not good enough for my job, or for the opportunities com

Take me back to 5!

 Growing up my dreams were simple, I wanted to be a princess. How hard could it possibly be? All I have to do is wear cute ballroom dresses, live in a castle, smile and greet people and occasionally ride horses. That to me seems like a simple life.  Fast forward to today and in reality, I am 20-something working an actual 9 to 5, while trying to get a degree which in all honesty is giving me so much grief (like why can't you just be as easy as 123) and somewhere in all this, I am expected to live a decent social life and possibly have a stable relationship. In this same one life???? That is not what 5-year-old me thought, because as far as I know, the Prince was bound to find me in a castle. But alas, I do not live in one. This could probably be the reason I am single, instead of being in a castle in some faraway land, I am in Lusaka lol. At 5, my dreams were cute and pure, and life also seemed so much simpler and cooler as from my little girl eyes, iyee imwe kali ka book kama lies